Monday, October 29, 2012

Are we ready for a baby?!

Some of my friends think I'm crazy to have a baby now but I really don't think so. I really truly believe that both me and Scottie are really ready. I've thought long and hard about money and all that good stuff and with all that considered I still think we are ready. Do we have a house no but not everyone lives in a house and they still have kids. We have room for a baby, a whole bedroom waiting just for a little baby to fill it up.

One of my best friends came over Saturday and made some points like "well you guys should have some time to yourselves", "take a vacation together just you guys", blah blah blah. I get her concerns but me and Scottie have been together for almost five years now. I know him like the back of my hand and he knows me inside and out. He knows me better than I know myself sometimes. I have an amazing family and I know I could trust many people with our baby for a weekend if we had to absolutely get away. But I also know us. Us as a couple. We don't "party", we are home bodies, we stay in, we love where we live so we try to get people to come to us.

Another major reason I'm choosing now is because I'm 25. I personally don't want to wait until I'm 30-35 to start having kids. If you've ever watched a child you've noticed they are full of energy and you need to be able to keep up with them. Now don't get me wrong some people it feels right for them to get their career going and then to start a family, but that's not me, that's not us. Also because I'm a nanny I am very fortunate that I will be able to take my child with me when I go to work so that will save us money with daycare. (Which is crazy expensive! If you put your child in an infant room you're spending at least $800 a month, most times more! Absolutely insane!) I just babysat for a couple who I love dearly this past weekend and they are in their late 30's and have two small boys. Mase is just about 2 and a half and Jax is almost 11 months old, they told me I was smart to have kids now because at the end of the night they are exhausted!

I'd like to think I'm very money savvy, if I can find a way to money I will do it. Which I will use to an advantage when we have kids. For example I've been doing a lot of research on cloth diapers and I am really very interested in them. Some people may think "Eww gross cloth diapers", but from all the research it seems like it may be a good choice and plus they come in all colors and patterns so they're super cute! More example of my super money saving skills:
                                  1.I've already gotten a changing table, which I found on the side of the road
                                      fixed it up and it's beautiful! So we got that for free! 
                                  2. We've re-purposed Scottie's dresser. Again FREE!
                                  3. Got an Eddie Bauer high chair off of CraigsList for fifty bucks! Yes $50!
                                       They go for at least $150 brand new!
Right now I'm on the hunt for a rocker/glider on Craigslist. I just can't see buying one brand new for $200 or $300. I just think that's crazy, especially when I can find them on Craigslist for as low as $40! So I'm looking for that and I'll probably re-upholster which ever one I find to make it super cute!
 
Some friends have given us gender neutral clothes which have already pretty much filled up the dresser (which includes bids, socks, shoes, mittens for when their little, and tons of white oneies to go underneath clothing!). We've also received a tub, a swing, and a bouncy seat. They figure they don't need it anymore and we will be starting soon for a baby so why not give it to us, which I don't mind one bit. Every thing's in great condition so it's a blessing and one less thing our families have to buy for us! And I know between the two of our families we will most likely get everything we need from our baby shower and probably more!
 
Not to mention I'm pretty sure I'm well equipped to take care of a child. I know everyone says it's different with your own which I get and I'm sure that will apply to us but I've been babysitting since I was 13, I'm a nanny now for 3 girls which when I started the youngest was 6 months old and I was the head infant teacher at a daycare for a year, and there babies come as young as 6 weeks old! So I've definitely changed my fair share of diapers, I've experienced the blows, the pee in face, the projectile vomiting, snot and much more! Scottie might need some training but I know he'll be just fine!

So to all you who think we can't do it or we aren't ready I say we are! We will still live comfortably and we will still enjoy our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment