Wednesday, July 23, 2014

A Baby Sprinkle

So what do you do when someone you know is having their second baby and you want to celebrate? Normally most people just get one shower, sometimes if you're lucky you'll get another for your other babies but most likely you'll just get one. Something we did for my sister, who had her second four years later, is throw a "Baby Sprinkle". Yes that's right, a baby sprinkle! To sum it up in a quick sentence it's a sprinkling of gifts for the parents to be. Pretty much you get them all the small stuff. New clothes, blankets, bottles, binkys, you get the point.

We decided to throw Jeff & Autumn a baby sprinkle. Autumn is pregnant with baby Colton and although this is her second this is Scottie's brother Jeff's first so we had to celebrate! Any excuse to throw a party!

I looked up some different ideas and settled on a "Little Man" theme. With the help of Scottie's mom and sister we pulled it all together. We got together a guest list, pulled together some food, got the cutest decorations and bam there you have it!

We only had two weeks to prepare everything. They live in Massachusetts and were coming up for the fireworks so we had to move fast. We pulled together an invitation and sent them out the next day. I found the paper plates and napkins on oriental trading. Table clothes (went with plain red) and plastic ware came from Wal-Mart.

Picture of the dinner plates! So cute right?

I googled sprinkle invitations, it's a relatively new thing so I was hoping I could find a cute saying to explain what a sprinkle was. Unfortunately all the invitations I found were a little girly so I decided to do the old cut and paste and create mine own.

Here's what I put on the invitation, "Bibs, diapers, and bottles galore, Jeff and Autumn are having one more! The new baby won't need a playpen or crib, so just bring the small stuff like bottles and a bib, remember it's a baby sprinkle indeed, a light showering of things that the baby will need." We also included a note to tell everyone we were having a diaper raffle and to bring a book instead of a card. Keeping with the mustache theme for the book tags (included in the invitation) they read, "I mustache a favor of you.....One small request that won't be too hard, Please bring a book instead of a card. Whether Cat in the Hat or Winnie the Pooh, You can sign the book with a note from you. Little man Colton will become very smart indeed, if we start early he will soon learn to read!" Diaper raffle tags read like this, "I mustache a favor of you.....Bring a pack of diapers.....in any shape or size! We'll enter you in a raffle, & you could win a great prize!" I just took the boarder from the invite, stuck a mustache on there and the tags were done!

For the food we decided to do a cook out. We made some salads, some baked beans, got some burgers and dogs, got some chips and called it a day. Frank manned the grill, we left the food inside so it wouldn't get spoiled in the sun.  For the food table we just threw a white table cloth down and popped the plastic ware in mason jars to dress it up a bit and that's it. No fuss no muss!

For decorations I made a banner but that had gotten lost in the shuffle, eventually we did end up finding it and used it as the back drop for pictures. My awesome sister took pictures to capture the whole event. I wanted her to get some maternity shots of Jeff and Autumn so they could remember this special time. The event was held in my sister in laws back yard so we really didn't need to much to dress it up. The outdoors worked for us. We had some tables set up and tons of chairs for people to hang out. We put up a clothes line with one onesies on it to just add a nice extra touch.

 My sweet banner. "Welcome Little Man"
 Parents to be!

 Love these guys!
 Clothes line!

I made the cake. I decided to just do a small round that they could cut and went with cupcakes to hand out to everyone else. On the cake I wrote "Welcome Baby Colton" and the cupcakes were so easy. I just frosted them with bright blue frosting, stuck a tooth pick mustache in them and that's it! So simple! Little did I know Autumn's obsessed with mustaches so the theme fit perfectly!

 Small round cake.
 Cupcakes!
 Notice the sweet mustache dessert plates from orientaltrading.com!

 The tooth pick mustaches were a big hit!



Even Nella joined in on the fun!

All in all I said it was a pretty good time. Everything went relatively smoothly and I think everyone had a really good time. I'm really glad we had my sister there to take pictures, especially ones of the whole family together. I can't wait to meet baby Colton, he is so loved already!

No comments:

Post a Comment