Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Summer Travels

Let's see, so far this summer we've been to Gilbert Lake and Rhode Island. Originally I had thought I'd write some sweet tips for traveling with kids but what the hell do I know. With only one kid and two trips under our belts I think I'll settle for sharing our experiences instead.

Gilbert Lake was only an hour and a half trip which was really actually quite painless. I had my niece and nephew along for the ride as well. Kody (my nephew) does experience some motion sickness so I said a prayer and we went along our merry way. Penelope actually, some how managed to stay up the whole entire trip to Gilbert. With Adora and Kody in the car she was quite happy!  We made it up there only having to stop once for Kody because he thought was going to hurl. Luckily he manged to take a couple of deep breathes and we managed to finish up the trip! (Of course it had to be when we only ten minutes away!) On the bright side we made it, we didn't get lost and all was well. Everyone was very excited to see Mimi & Papa!



I try to get up to Gilbert every year. My parents camp there every summer and it's so nice to get away. Sadly my husband couldn't join us, he had to work (we're saving some of his vacation trips for the arrival of our new nephew!) but we still had a good time. We arrived on Tuesday and came home on Thursday and we all had a blast! We stay in a cabin, I brought along Nella's pack 'n' play and the kids had beds to sleep in. Nella had her first experience at a beach, which was super fun and of course she just had to try the sand. Who says a little dirt is no good for the diet, a little protein maybe? Haha, anyways we all had a blast!


Our next trip was to Rhode Island. Scottie, Nella, Papa Francisco and myself went to see the Pawtucket Red Sox. (They are the AAA team of the Red Sox, which is pretty cool!) Sadly I don't think we'll be making it to Fenway this year, well at least Nella and I won't be. The trip to Rhode Island was about the same amount of time as it would take us to get to Boston. I'm not sure if it was because I was in the back seat with Nella but by the end of the car ride she was over it. She wanted out of that damn car seat. Luckily she can go three to four hours between feedings so she made it the whole trip without needing to eat. By the end of the car ride I was letting her play with my hair to keep her quiet (and by play I mean rip it out!) We meant up with Scottie's brother, his girlfriend and their son. Seats were good, but unfortunately Nella obviously can't sit still very long so we took lots of walks. Which wasn't too bad but I knew there was no way I'd do it at Fenway. Hopefully next year we can make out there!


I guess I do have some tips for traveling with kids. Although I try my hardest to make sure Nella won't be a tech kid (and no I'm not anti-computer or anything let that I just don't want to depend on cell phones and I-Pads to keep her entertained) I would recommend a portable DVD player for travel with a kid over 2. I got lucky on the way from camp and everyone fell asleep! But seriously a DVD would of saved me on the way up. Keep toys handy, anything to distract them really. And that's all I've got. I'm sure down the road we'll learn more about how to keep the kids happy but for now I'm happy gathering up all these experiences!

Here's a few more pictures from our summer! We've made lots of park visits with Kody and Adora. With me babysitting Nella gets to hang out with Jackson and Michelle's girls too! We love summer! We get to spend so much time with our awesome families!

 Park day!

 Hairs so long, it's blowing in the breeze!


 Relaxing before naps!

 Playing with Papa!
 Axle and her are best friends!
 Reading with Grandma!
 Best thing about summer, more time with dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment