Friday, December 6, 2013

So far, so good.

Well we're going on week three over here and doing fairly well. We've hit some bumps along the road but that's to be expected. I mean she's only two and a half weeks old for pete's sake, and that's what I have to keep reminding myself.

Her first week of life was pretty rocky, more so for me than her I think. We went to the doctors (mind you she was only three days old) for the first time. She had lost another two ounces since leaving the hospital so we had to come back the following Monday to check up on that. (Good news- went back to the doctor and she got back up to her birth weight! Yay!) The doctor also wanted to get some blood work done because she was still yellow. (Good news- no more blood work the yellow is gone!) And the big thing was our doctor still heard her heart murmur. They first heard it at the hospital, it was light but still could be heard so we had to keep an eye on it. So when her doctor said she could still hear it my heart dropped. She got us an appointment for that same day at St. Peter's. She had to have an ekg and an ultrasound on her heart. I was freaking out but she did great. She slept through everything. The doctor said she had two small holes in the bottom of her heart, everything else looked normal so they think they'll just go away with time. We have a follow up appointment in a month to check the pressure of the right side of her heart and then we go back in a year to see if the holes are gone. Then we proceeded to Belleuve to get her blood drawn. So what we thought would be just a simple doctors appointment, ended up being a very long day. We left the house at 9:45 and got back to the house at 4:45. Needless to say it was a crazy day but we made it through.

I've been trying to keep her in her crib at night but just recently it seems she wants nothing to do with her crib. I feed her, burp her and she's asleep so in her crib she goes and not even ten minutes later she's up. It drives me bonkers. And I know this is a big no no, but sometimes I'm so tired if she falls asleep on me I'll close my eyes and instantly fall asleep and wake up hours later. I know, I know it's bad and I don't want to make it a habit but it's hard. The past couple of nights she thinks it's fun to just be up for a couple of hours. Sometimes she's fussy, sometimes she's just up. It drives me crazy, because of course I want nothing more than to just sleep, even if it's only for an hour. But she's just not having it. It's frustrating but we make it through. We brought her bouncy chair in our room simply because I don't want to get up 15 times to get her from her crib and I don't want to hold her and sleep so that's how we're dealing with it for now.

And of course as a breast feeding mom you think "Oh jeeze was it something I ate?" So you're sitting there at 1 in the morning wondering if your kid is just gassy or if it's something you did or something you ate or if they're just having an off day. I think she's gassy, she burps good but I always think she has another one hiding in there and that keeps her up, or wakes her up.

Besides our night troubles things have been good. I consider myself lucky that she is doing so good with the boob. She has a great latch and just hooks right on. I started pumping this past week to help to increase my milk supply and that's going good too. I can usually get around 4 ounces extra to freeze and stock up. The only down size to that is my boobs get so sore.

I'd have to say so far, over all things are going good. If we could just fix the night I'd be good to go. Until then I just try to sleep when she sleeps although sometimes that seems impossible. I've been learning to just let the dishes sit in the sink, let the laundry pile because if I'm not taking care of myself my baby isn't going to benefit at all, and we'll both end up cranky.

Some little things about our Nella:
-she has a new nickname, we call her Bean
-she sleeps with her mouth open
-she loves to have her hands by her face,  she tries to suck them but just can't fit them in her mouth yet 
-she likes the pacifier
-she's a loud pooper, when she poops you know, she's a true Francisco

Our little family is doing well and can't wait for all the adventures this journey is sure to bring us. Here's some pictures of our bean:

 Her coming home outfit
 Hanging out with dad
 Wide awake
 All snuggled up
 First bath, she looks nervous but she seemed to like it.
 Nella on her first Thanksgiving!
Always has to have her hands by her face.

No comments:

Post a Comment